Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Trip to Arizona





we thought that this looked like a dinosaur skull






the storage cellar at the Lonely Dell Ranch





Cove fort



We went to Arizona as kind of a mini reunion with some of Mike's relatives. We went to Lee's Ferry where his Great Great? Grandma and her husband ran the ferry crossing. They also ran the Lonely Dell Ranch, they were out in the middle of nowhere and it was the only place to cross the river. It was quite interesting, we got to look in the cabins where they lived and even see some of the remains of the steam engine of the ferry! We went on lots of different hiking trails which the kids loved. My card on my camera was full but Mike told Joel that he could walk up the mountain a little bit he was topping the next little ridge when Mike noticed and went to go after him at which point Joel was on a dead run- Mike was yelling at him to stop to which Joel replied "I can't hear you your too far away" it was quite a sight to was mike trying to climb up this mountain (mostly on his hands and knees)! Joel finally did stop and Mike caught up to him!
We also got to witness our first sand storm! I think I would prefer to drive in a wyoming blizzard compared to that! We couldn't see ANYTHING when the sand came, we just had to stop on the road and hope that the people behind us stopped too. It would blast the sand into the car and it would rock back and forth. The kids hated that part of the trip! It also blew away Mike's aunts tent, and a window in the motel room of his cousin! I wished I would have has my video camera for that! What a storm! It makes a person realize how bad it must have been in the depression with the dust bowls.
We also went to the grand canyon which if you are afraid of heights like I am is not a good place to go! Don't get me wrong now it was beautiful but I think that I spent most of the time telling my kids to "get back" "hold my hand"! I did however conquer some of my fear and I climbed almost to the top of the look out tower, I almost couldn't get back down. I'm sure I will be some tours "funny story" when they get home!!

We also stopped at Temple square and Cove Fort which the kids loved as well. We made it home at 2:30 this morning! It was a long but really fun trip!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! Beautiful pictures.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great trip. I am not looking forward to ours, after just going to Billings today with all the kids, Ugghh!! Love your braces, the girls did a great job picking the right color!!

    ReplyDelete